Wildflowers

Wildflowers

Friday, August 20, 2010

Week #3 MFW- Exploring Countries and Cultures

Today is Friday and we have completed week #3 of our homeschool year.  We are learning so much.  The kids are really enjoying the maps and the Bible study with Hero Tales.  Samuel's favorite subject is science and he really enjoys the outside nature study, still.  We are all looking forward to some cooler temperatures, so we can really enjoy the outdoors more often!

This afternoon we made a trip to Raleigh to a homeschool curriculum store.  I have been wanting to visit there for a few months and just never made it until today.  I needed a couple of things and had called ahead to make sure they had what I needed.  I got what I needed today and saved shipping. 

One thing I needed was a teacher's manual for Emily's Latina Christiana  II.   Why we didn't get it when we purchased the rest of the curriculum, I don't remember.  I certainly do NEED it!

Another item was a spelling curriculum.  I have been back and forth on this for months and finally went with All About Spelling.  I have read lots of reviews and testimonials and this one seems like it could be a good fit for my children.  I have one very strong speller and one that struggles.  We will start with this Monday.


We are going to relax this weekend, starting tonight with some homemade pizza.  We have a family tradition of pizza most weekends.  We have used several recipes over the years and finally found the perfect dough.
We also use a bread machine and it has made so much difference.  It is so thick and scrumptious!  Here is the recipe:
                                                        Bread Machine Pizza Dough
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 4 cups bread flour
  • 4 tsp bread machine yeast
Add these in order in the bread machine and use the dough cycle.  After rising spread on pizza pans, add toppings and bake at 350 degrees for around 15 minutes.

We also have a red dipping sauce for pizza that we love.  It is not a pizza sauce, but a dipping sauce that is also great for bread sticks, chicken nuggets, meatballs, etc.

                                                                       Red Sauce
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup vegetable or olive oil
  • 2  tsp dry mustard
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 2 tsp vinegar
Mix sugar, dry mustard, and paprika together.  Add ketchup, oil and vinegar. Mix well.  We usually store ours in an empty ketchup bottle so it is easy to pour.

Now I am off to enjoy pizza and some Friday night football.  One of the many things I love about fall!!



              

No comments:

Post a Comment