Wildflowers

Wildflowers

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Still Tweaking.....

It's Wednesday!  We have 3 days under our belts this week.  Samuel is doing very well with workboxes and Emily seems to be really enjoying her curriculum.  She is on the couch reading C.S. Lewis as I type.

This morning we did our Backyard Habitat worksheet and Samuel was a natural.  He found a brown moth hanging upside down on a leaf under a bush.  It was so camouflaged!  He was very excited about his discovery.  He was also very cute with his magnifying glass!

I have been going through recipes and sorting them by category.  I am also going to put the ones we use more frequently in a special binder.  I had a file box full of them from when we moved last and it looks like an overwhelming project.  I figure if I just do a few minutes a day ( maybe  when we are watching TV or something) then I will eventually get it finished.

Here is one that we like (even the kids).  It is quick and easy.

Frito Casserole

1 lb ground beef
1 can chili (16 oz)
1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 cup shredded cheese
3 1/2 c Frito chips
1 1/4 c sour cream
Brown ground beef and drain. Stir in chili, tomato sauce, taco seasoning and 1/4 c cheese.
Sprinkle Frito chips in bottom of 8x8 baking dish.  Cover with chili mixture.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Spread sour cream on top.  Sprinkle remaining Frito chips and cheese on sour cream and bake 5 minutes more.

Once I get a handle on my big recipe box,  I'll post some more quick and easy recipes.  I am hoping that I can get these together for my house to be able to get dinner on the table without spending so much time in the kitchen.   I also think this will help to plan our menus ahead and that will save not only time, but money too.  If I know ahead what I am planning to make then I can shop for those items and not have to run out at the last moment for them.
I can also look for coupons for these items ahead of time.

This is the time of year that a lot of us go into organization overdrive.  I am still tweaking my homeschool plans and working on menu plans and recipes and have other projects in mind for the next few weeks.  All a part of a continuing homemaking journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment